Friday, May 20, 2011

Stupidity happened

In the midst of all the initial excitment of our Singapore trip a couple of months back, I totally forgot to post about an incident the very night before our Singapore flight. MamaJ had a similar ordeal recently which has reminded me to post this entry.

Back story first. Just before christmas, we had a neighbour whose van had a pretty serious gas leak. Serious enough to have 4 fire trucks and firemen strutting around doing their thing for a bit. They told us there was a possibility that a huge explosion could happen if not dealt with tactfully.

So second time round, when I heard 2 loud explosions right outside our bedroom window (it sounded like fireworks) AND saw a fire that went up to 2 storeys high, I FREAKED. It was no fireworks.

I thought the worst. Let me just put it plainly.

I thought we were all going to die if we don't get the hell out of the place. (sorry about the pun)

Just when I realised what was going on outside, our other next door neighbour was frantically ringing our doorbell telling us there is a fire!

When you have firemen telling you once before, that a gas leak is no laughing matter, you'll know what I mean. The scenes are still very vivid in my mind. And that feeling of helplessness. The terror and the adrenalin.

A fire! With the possibility of a gas explosion no less.

I GRABBED MY SLEEPING BABY from his cot. And I RAN.

All the way to the other end of the house. I didn't run outside because at that point, I thought it was another gas leak. What if another explosion happens? I don't know if it was a good idea to stay inside. But I was visualizing being flung into the air when that explosion happens. I know. I watch too many of these action movie flicks. But hey, I wasn't taking chances! I wanted some sort of protection. Just as well I didn't step outside. It was freezing outside. I was in such a panic stricken mode, I didn't even have the sense to grab a jacket for K.

By the time I had put my baby in a safe spot (still sleeping and totally unaware of the whole fiasco), hubby had gone out to find out what happened.

Two doors away, a massive fire was eating its way into a part of a neighbour's house. Nothing to do with the said van (but that neighbour raced his van out of our court, just in case, he said later on). Neighbours were all pitching in to fill buckets of water to help douse out the fire.

But to no avail.


This time round, I know I'll be forgiven for the crappy blurry photo. My hands were shaking!
 My sister in law was quick on her feet, and had the sense to ring the police. And in no time, there was the blaring of the sirens into the silence of the night. The fire trucks arrived. In short, they scurried around in an orderly fashion, put out the flames after what seemed like an agonising half an hour or so.

I tucked K back into his cot, grabbed the baby monitor and hurried outside to find out we really didn't need to evacuate.

Fast forward an hour later, the firemen and the occupants of that house were still sitting on the grass on our front lawn. With their faces in their hands, some in tears, barefoot and dishevelled.

What happened?


Stupidity happened. That's what.


Someone was silly enough to light a naked flame next to a half installed airconditioning unit. Exposed electrical wires and all. The result was a gutted garage, affecting also part of their house. The lucky thing was, everyone managed to get out of the house in time. And that the fire didn't spread to the surrounding houses.

Thankfully for us, if we had to evacuate, our bags were already packed! Afterall, our flight takes off in another 10 hours! It was waaaay past midnight when our household calmed down enough to settle back to bed.

And in hindsight, it is now very clear, what I consider the most important thing in the world.

My baby.

I didn't grab my wallet. Our passports. Our phones. NOTHING.

Dear god, come to think of it now, I really should have! What was I thinking!? So this time, when we move into our new home, I'm gonna make sure ALL the important things are kept in one safe spot. Maybe also a small amount of cash with it. So, *touch wood* should something like that were to happen again, I will be able to grab it and go. IF I am still thinking that is!

How an earth did I not remember to blog about this is beyond me! This literally happened almost 4 months back! Having someone yell out "FIRE!" in the middle of the night is truly one heck of an adrenalin punch! Dramatic!

3 comments:

  1. Oh gosh that must have been terrifying! Gas leak sounds really omnimous :( Glad no one was hurt. About keeping stuff all in one place though, I just realised ours are under lock and key. Err, when an emergency happens I wonder if I'll be steady enough to do the extra step of unlocking them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY LORD. How terrifying. What an amazing mothers instinct kicked in! So glad it wasn't more serious (that sounds quite serious enough!) xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! What a fiasco! So glad to know that everybody's safe.

    I know exactly what you meant. My baby is the most important thing in the world! I do most important stuff in my purse at all times, ready to go. But not the passport...I'll think of a way where I can safely store it but easily grab it. Touch wood, but we can never be too prepared, right?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails