Friday, May 6, 2011

Happy 18 months Kayden

Kayden turns 18 months today! Later today, we have close family and friends who will be helping him blow out some candles. Most of the family won't be making it to his 2nd birthday later this year, so we're making up for it with his 18 months milestone.


Is anyone looking???
 
Oops! They caught me! *Kayden does scary*
 For the past month his emotional development has really shot through the roof. He clasps his hands in great excitement and makes little rapid steps on the spot when he discovers that someone has left the television remote unattended. The look on his face says it all! He takes furtive glances around him, then when he thinks it's safe, he sneakily goes forward to claim his prize.




My mum helps to babysit the next door neighbour's baby every so often. Needless to say, he gets jealous when any of us helps to rock her in her bouncer. Or pat her. Or talk to her. He insists on sitting on our laps or cling onto us, while we awkwardly reach over him to attend to her. 

But saying that, he also  likes patting her on her tummy, help to rock her, and fling his soft toys at her (his idea of sharing). He goes up to her real close, right in front of her nose and attempts to give her awkward hugs while she's lying in her bouncer. Naturally, baby M gets annoyed at his persistant wooings, so she cries. Ah my boy, you ain't a cassanova yet! And when she cries, K cries too.

I understand this 'contagious distress' is part of his social and emotional growth, so I pick him up, cuddle him and explain (sometimes unfruitfully) that baby does not like you sticking your face so close to her! And of course I have fallen into his trap haven't I? Having my attention back on him is what he really wants!




He also loves imitating the things I do. Here is K imitating me as I sat beside him flossing. He also pretends to sneeze when I do. Or carry my handbag like I do. His favourite gadget besides the remotes would be Por Por's old hand me down mobile which she has gifted him. He walks around the room chatting candidly to his imaginery friend. It goes "Ah! Ki na chu ah kisch mmmm ohhh bideh? Gubilah bilah BILAAAH!" It's hilarious, we all sit and watch him carry out his important business deal.

Sometimes when I lay down for some shut eye, he pats me like how I do at his naptime. But son, I hope one day you realise it's to lull Mommy into a peaceful slumber. Not a chance to see how loud your 'pats' can sound. (So when exactly does the empathy thing come?) How about one day you put out the laundry like Mommy does? Or wipe up your crayon marks off the floor and walls, like I do 10 million times a day? (Thank god for Crayola's washable crayons. I am 10 steps ahead of you my son).

And to my surprise, he sometimes also brushes his feet on the bathroom mat everytime he steps out. And he actually flicks his hands into the sink after washing! Somebody's actually considerate for a change!

He says quite a few words now. Go, wow, more, up, da da, cheese, Gai gai (cantonese for going out), take, where, yes, star, apple, dinner (lunch is also dinner), gor gor(big brother), oh oh and open. And most recently to his grandfather's delight, Goong Goong! BUT. Sadly, Mama is still a hit and miss. Why??? At the moment, I'm pulling out the guns, he can call me Kelly if he really wants!

True to his nature, he started attempting to run even before he mastered walking. These days his favourite thing to do when bored is to tear through the living room yelling 'YeeeeeeeeeAAaaaaAAA!!!!" as he waves his hands in the air. Or shake out his crayons from the box, then proceed to draw on the floor tiles if I havent't laid some paper out. Doing that while hiding behind the couch. Sneaky much?

More to come, time to celebrate!

1 comment:

  1. So cute. :) It's these moments that you will always remember and look back on fondly. Here in Canada it is Mother's Day so I hope yours is lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails