Wednesday, April 13, 2011

More Thailand

Would you have believed me if I said I had never been to Bangkok?

It seems like the whole world around me had, and I didn't. But now, I can say I've been. And I LOVE BANGKOK! I think I've fallen in love with Thailand! But this city is my new love for sure.

The bestie and I jetted off for a girly trip away.




Indeed, it is THE land of smiles. People are friendly, despite the busy nature of their lifestyles. Their skytrain is superb! Clean, timely and efficient. Even when it is crowded, people give way and are considerate. Once during the peak lunch time hour, we approached a office lady for directions. She did it gladly with a smile and a slight bow. That very same minute, somebody else came up and tried to offer help too! Of course, it also helps that both the young and the old are largely able to converse in English.

It was a girly trip where we intended to shop until we dropped. And that we did! There were trinkets of all sorts and sizes. The only hard bit was to try not to buy everything we saw.

A friend has purchased an apartment to retire there in his future years. When I first heart of that, I was thoroughly surprised. Retire in Bangkok? He described the place that is chaotic, peaceful, ancient, modern, magical and realistic all at the time. I have never had anyone paint me a picture of Bangkok that way. Not even my Thai friends. I was naturally intrigued.

But after the trip. I get it.





Traffic snarls, temples and swanky hotels all along the same stretch of road. Monks in their orange robes and women dressed in the latest designer gear all living together at the same place. Street side stalls line the streets. People who had just moments ago, just swiped their magical cards (quoting my Thai friend N) at the posh Prada store across the road sit on make shift tables and chairs, enjoying their grilled delights. Stray cats sitting at their manicured feet, quietly hoping somebody throws a bone or two on the ground.

Amazing!



A gelati like icy treat encased in a ball! i-maru
 
My 40baht lunch (AUD1.20) Can't beat that!



It is a place to be explored. I find myself wishing I am back sooner than later!

2 comments:

  1. Looks super fun, i'm trying to head down there myself.

    The last time I was there, I was 6 months pregnant (no kidding!)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails