Friday, February 5, 2010

Harumi's carrot and tuna salad

When I saw this recipe from The Little Teochew I was itching to make it. And I am so glad I did, it was so yummy! I love tuna, and I love salads, perfect for the hot weather we have in Melbourne this week too! It is named Harumi's salad because the original recipe hails from Harumi Kurihara - the Martha Stewart of Japan! Interesting, you learn something new everyday. I might do a little bit more research on her later..
I ate this as a main meal, but you could probably portion it as an entree or a side salad. So depending on big you want your portion to be, it could serve either 1 or 4.

Recipe
(Original recipe from Harumi Kurihara and adapted from The Little Teochew)

2 carrots julienned
90g canned tuna (I used Sirena brand and drained most of the oil)
50g finely sliced onion (I had a lonesome red one sitting by itself)
1 tsp finely minced garlic
oil for frying

Dressing: (mix all of these first before dressing the salad)
*2 tbsp white vinegar ( I only had red wine vinegar so I used that, tasted fine!)
*1 tbsp mustard ( I used wholegrain mustard)
*salt and pepper to taste
*splash of soy sauce
*1 tsp honey ( I tasted the dressing before and after the honey. Like Ju, I think the honey is needed to adjust the tanginess of the vinegar.)

1. Mix up all the ingredients for the dressing.
2. Heat some oil up in a saucepan. Lightly stirfry the garlic, onion and carrots. The carrots should still be crunchy. Just cook to remove the rawness of the vegetables. Remove from heat.
3. Drain the tuna, add the vegetables and dress the salad.
4. Chill and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails