Thursday, January 13, 2011

The floods in Queensland





Unless you have been living under a rock, I am quite certain you would have heard about the floods happening in Queensland, Australia. I won't post any photos of it here, but I am sure if you do a quick google search, it will bring up a ton of breaking news on the flood crisis happening there. 

Aerial views show just only the roofs of family homes. Some have had their entire house under. Boats on suburban streets. People being airlifted from their roofs. Families fleeing from their balconies. Things like that.

Watching the Queensland Premier shed tears on live television this morning, brought tears to my very own eyes. The devastation.

The floods have left a trail of destruction not only in the country areas but in the inner suburbs and areas close to the CBD area as well. I recognize places I have been to while on holiday there and seeing people wading  hip deep in the flood waters there has left me stunned. Who would have thought this sort of thing would happen right here in Australia? 

I don't know anyone personally, who has been affected by the floods. But I know of members of a forum I visit, who have been evacuated from the affected areas but safe. 

They are now reporting that the Brisbane River has only peaked at 4.4m instead of the 5.5m as previously forecasted. But what what a difference that ONE METER has made. One report told of a man who woke up this morning in his suburban home, to find the water halfway up the stairs. Barely just short of the mark where the water would have gone into the bedrooms where they were sleeping. 

With the unusual amount of rain we have had recently in Victoria, it is scary to think this could happen right here where we live too. What would we do? Where would we go?How far do we have to go? Do you even take anything or just flee?

I've been whinging so much about this wet summer we've been getting here in Melbourne. I think I am going to just shut up now. So today, at home, we actually enjoyed watching the rain come trickling down the windows. And then we played cubby houses, an activity I loved doing as a child. 

My heart goes out to those affected by the floods.

1 comment:

  1. The floods are really devastating! I'm sure you're getting a lot more news about it where you are. Certainly agree about the reminder not to whine about the weather when we're having it good.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails