Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Getting ready - the hospital bag


This post is really for myself to keep for next time. In the case that I don't change my mind about having a second child!
I am the type of person who makes lists way ahead of my travel plans and I am usually packed at least a week ahead. But with a pregnancy, you never know when that mad dash to the hospital comes along. So, being true to my style, my bag is now packed and ready for operation labour. I actually had it half packed a couple of weeks back, but it wasn't complete. But, I had a false alarm the other night, and that us into a frenzy inbetween the irregular contractions, rushing around the house and really putting things together.

I am 98% organized and prepared (my mom who is arriving in a couple of days has some of baby's clothes) . The bags (hospital have reccomended a labour kit and a post natal ward bag) are almost bursting with all its contents.
For myself :

  • front buttoned PJs
  • hoodie
  • toiletries (Shampoo/conditioner, shower gel, fash wash, moisturizer, face cloths, cotton tips, non-fragranced facial mist,lip balm, toothbrush/paste,comb)
  • socks and slippers
  • maternity pads x 2 packs. Until I was pregnant, I don't think I ever noticed they have maternity pads? Nor did I know there were breast pads - for you know... the dribbles.
  • Lanolin nipple cream
  • bath towel
  • Underwear
  • hair ties/clips
  • tissues
  • plastic bags (for soiled laundry)
  • some money and coins
  • medibank/medicare cards

For baby:
  • nappies
  • cotton wraps
  • baby wipes
  • bath towel
  • shampoo/body wash
  • nappy cream
  • rompers/ tops/bottoms
  • face washers
  • mittens/socks/beanie
For hubby:

  • board shorts (australian birthing suites have huge bathrooms, for hot showers to ease labour pains, a nozzle for the back and another one for the tummy), he will have to come in with me just in case I fall off my chair in there!
  • change of clother
  • underwear
  • towel
  • camera
**Also need to make sure:
  • petrol is always at the very least 1/3 full at all times
  • mobile phones are always charged (hospital's emergency and obstetrician's mobile number stored into it)

I wonder if I have left anything out. I think I have the necessities for the labour at least, and I suppose hubby can always drive back home after the birth to grab bits and pieces if need be.
Related Posts with Thumbnails